Organization Name / Organize By
Upskill Development Institute
Upskill Training Department
Training or Development Class Category
Both (Technical & Non Technical)
Training or Development Class Level
All (State/Province/Region, National & International)
CLICK ON THIS LINK to view course content and register to attend
This training guide has been designed for use in introductory rural and microfinance training courses. While the fundamentals of development finance and approaches in microfinance apply to rural finance, there are particular issues and characteristics that must be understood and taken into account in order to address rural, and in particular agricultural, finance. Some knowledge of market development services would also be helpful.
Sustainable rural development is vital to the economic, social and environmental viability of nations. It is essential for poverty eradication since global poverty is overwhelmingly rural. Rural development is the process of improving the quality of life and economic well-being of people living in rural areas.
This training aims to equip the participants with the knowledge and skills on rural development in order to support sustainable livelihoods and empower vulnerable people. The participants will also gain knowledge on how to develop and manage rural development projects.
- Explain and critically review current debates in rural development regarding rural livelihoods and the respective roles of markets, the state, institutions, property rights, agriculture and the rural non-farm economy.
- Critically evaluate past and existing attempts to supply rural services, such as infrastructure, finance, research and extension, health and education.
- Analyze critically alternative rural development policies in terms of their potential impact on rural poverty, equity and economic growth, taking account of different regional and geographical circumstances.
- Outline and evaluate different approaches to the management of land and water resources and their potential impact on rural development goals.
- Understand the special challenges of rural areas that are traditionally associated with rural and agricultural credit directed to the poor.
- Build a deeper understanding of the fundamental issues of rural finance.
- Have skills in conducting a rural and agricultural portfolio assessment and loan analysis – applying 5 C’s in rural finance.
- Be familiar with several innovative models and alternate ways of offering rural finance services.
- Gain skills in conducting seasonality analysis, preparing cash flows, assessing risk and appraising loans.
- Develop an understanding of new and innovative loan products and savings approaches for agriculture and rural areas.
- Gain awareness of sources and reference links to further information and support for addressing future challenges in the application of financial services in rural areas.
Who should attend?
It is aimed primarily at people who work in rural financial institutions, government and non-government development agencies, MFIs, banks and donors who advise and work with rural populations and communities
- Rural development
- Rural livelihoods
- The agricultural sector
- The rural non-farm economy
- Rural infrastructure
- Rural finance
- Agricultural research and extension
- Health and education
This course will be delivered by our skilled trainers who have vast knowledge and experience as expert professionals in the fields. The course is taught in English and through a mix of theory, practical activities, group discussion and case studies. Course manuals and additional training materials will be provided to the participants upon completion of the training.
This course can also be tailor-made to meet organization requirement. For further inquiries, please contact us on: Email: [email protected] Tel: +254 721 331 808